Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Has anybody heard of or used the drug spironolactone in the treatment of adult acne?

Spironolactone is a potassium-sparing diuretic usually used in conjunction with other drugs for treatment of high blood pressure, primarily because it causes potassium-retention, which other diuretics do not. So, if high potassium is somehow beneficial for treatment of adult acne, then I guess that might make sense.|||Spiro doesn%26#039;t treat acne with high potassium, silly. It%26#039;s an anti-androgenic drug. It blocks the receptors on your skin from the testosterone in the blood. That way you don%26#039;t grow facial hair or get acne -- or if you have these things, it will get rid of it. Report Abuse
|||Yes, I took it after I came off acutane. I had some side effects and stopped taking it and later that year, I developed two kidney stones. Not sure if it was related, but I never had that problem before, but all I know is that you it%26#039;s a form of a waterpill.





If this doesn%26#039;t work for you, ask your dermotologist about Ziana- a new topical acne gel. It works wonders and believe me I have tried everything.





Good Luck.|||Try 2 tbls. apple cider vinegar in a glass of water 2 x day. Gets rid of acne and dandruff. Has 93 vitamins and minerals. Read about acv on the web.|||I looked this up in my nursing drug book. I knew it was a diuretic, but had never heard of it being used for acne. It is listed for an off-label acne tretment.

No comments:

Post a Comment